The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) recently announced the recipients of the FY2020 Outdoor Recreation Grants. We are excited to see that eight out of the 22 recipients are members of Greater Minnesota Parks & Trails (GMPT). The GMPT has been working hard over the past four years to increase the amount of funding for this grant program and others that benefit local parks and trails. We are pleased that these efforts are paying off for our members!
Here’s a list of the awards and the recipients:
- City of Austin, Todd Park. Renovate playground areas for ADA access, picnic shelter and walkways.
- City of Princeton, Riverside-Riebe Park. Develop trails, ADA pier, natural fishing area, canoe/kayak launch, furnishings, vault restroom.
- City of North Mankato, Bluff Park. Develop observation deck with interpretive signs and natural restoration.
- City of Duluth, West Duluth Sports Corridor. Develop basketball, tennis and pickle ball courts. Redevelop ballfields, restrooms, bocce ball and water fountain.
- Sherburne County, Bridgeview Regional Park Reserve. Develop two scenic overlooks of the Mississippi River, trails, parking, access road and educational signs (kiosk).
- City of Oronoco, Allis Park. Redevelop parking, roads, landscaping and develop an overlook with informational signs.
- City of Aitkin, City Park. Replace ice rink, warming house, parking and lighting.
Congratulations to all of these members. You can see the complete list of recipients here. If you are interested in applying for a grant in the next application cycle, materials will be available in November with an expected application deadline in March 2020. We will send more information to our members when the application cycle opens.