As 2016 winds down, we are encouraging our existing members to renew their GMPT membership for 2017. In addition, we are looking to grow the organization by adding new members into the mix. The GMPT currently has nearly 100 members — including cities, counties, non-profits and individuals — and we hope that number will continue to rise.
Why join or renew your membership in the GMPT?
- Because the fight for Greater Minnesota’s fair share of Legacy funding is never over, and together we can achieve more to protect that funding than we can as individuals.
- Because Greater Minnesota needs a voice at the Capitol to push against the forces that would make it difficult, or even impossible, to develop or upgrade our parks and trails.
- Because Greater Minnesota deserves an organization that trains its members on advocacy, offers plenty of opportunities for networking and idea-sharing among members, and serves as a resource on legislative and funding news.
The GMPT and its members have accomplished a lot during the previous two-year legislative cycle:
- Secured dedicated Legacy funding for regional parks and trails in Greater Minnesota.
- Defeated proposals that would have imposed onerous requirements on trail construction, such as obtaining the permission of 80% of adjacent residents before building a new trail, or that would have prohibited the use of Legacy funds for property acquired through eminent domain.
- Stopped a proposal that could have imposed a flawed attendance metric on Greater Minnesota parks and trails, making it hard to gain support for funding in the future.
- Introduced a bi-partisan bill to provide money to the Local Trail Connections and Outdoor Recreation grant programs, and secured hearings on the bill in both the Senate and House.
New or existing members can sign up now to join or renew your membership for 2017; the membership form is available here. You can choose to pay now or we can send you an invoice for payment in December. We hope you will join us in advocating for Greater Minnesota’s parks and trails!