In less than two weeks, the Minnesota Legislature will reconvene, and although the second half of the biennium is shorter, it will likely be another busy session. Because it is not a budget year, the Legislature will be focused primarily on the bonding bill and policy issues. For GMPT, we have several priorities for 2024. We would like to see more funding for the DNR’s local park and trails grant programs and will be pushing for the inclusion of such funds in the bonding bill.
The Greater Minnesota Parks and Trails (GMPT) Annual Meeting is just around the corner on October 9 at the Initiative Foundation in Little Falls. We hope you can join us! Here’s some of what you can look forward to at the event:
- The DNR will be presenting on trends in trail research
- Greater Minnesota Regional Parks and Trails Commission Executive Director Renee Mattson will talk about how the commission’s work building out Greater Minnesota’s regional park and trail system.
- A panel presentation on leveraging state and local resources for pollinators plantings and landscape redevelopment
- *New this Year* We’re inviting business members to spend a few minutes highlighting how they have worked with other GMPT members
- Highlights from our legislative and other activities of the last year and a preview of upcoming work
- Election of next year’s board
- Networking with fellow parks and trails professionals and supporters
Please RSVP for the meeting here. We’ll be collecting a small fee ($20) to cover the cost of lunch and materials at the event.
We are also still requesting feedback from members on our fall survey that helps guide our policy making and other work. If you haven’t done so already, please fill it out here: https://forms.gle/QDmC3Faue5F8kjVT9
We look forward to seeing you on October 9!